Loyola Law School (J.D./M.B.A., with honors)
Loyola Marymount University (B.S., Philosophy, cum laude)
Founding Partner, Zaller Law Group PC
Founding Partner, Van Vleck & Zaller LLP
Carlton DiSante & Freudenberger LLP
Admitted To Practice In
All California State Courts
United States District Court, Central District of California
- American Bar Association National Symposium on Technology in Labor and Employment Law: Biometrics in the Workplace: The Promise and Peril of its Collection and Use (April 2018)
- Various franchise associations in Southern California: California Employment Law Update of State and Local Issues for 2018 (December - March 2018)
- Client and California Restaurant Association Seminar: New Employment Laws Facing California Employers (February 2018)
- Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo: How to legally include back of house workers in a tip pool (August 2017)
Anthony J. Zaller
Anthony Zaller is an employment litigation attorney and founding partner of the firm. Primarily focused on helping businesses and entrepreneurs navigate California’s complex employment and business laws, Anthony advises his clients through litigation, governmental agency investigations, and legal compliance issues. He has litigated wage and hour class actions for claims of unpaid wages, missed breaks, unpaid overtime, unreimbursed business expenses, and Private Attorney General Act ("PAGA") representative actions, among other issues. Anthony has also successfully litigated many single plaintiff employment cases including claims of wage and hour violations, breach of contract, wrongful termination, sexual and racial harassment, discrimination, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets and embezzlement.
Anthony has represented fortune 500 companies to start-up companies and individual executives in traversing California’s employment laws and successfully resolving litigation. Throughout his career, Anthony has represented and advised clients in various industries, including:
- Technology and start-ups
- Oil and gas
- Trucking and logistics
- Aerospace and aviation
Anthony has been featured in various California and national news publications, including:
- Silicon Valley Business Journal
- Nation's Restaurant News
- KTLA 5 (featured in news story on employee's privacy rights on social media)
- CBS Los Angeles (California Employment Law 101: What Every Small Business Owner Needs to Know)
- National Public Radio
Anthony also routinely speaks to California and nation-wide audiences, trade associations, and franchise groups on topics such as:
- Class action litigation trends and strategies
- Wage/hour developments in California
- Managing conflict in the workplace
- FMLA/CFRA leaves, paid time off and other issues
- Disabilities in the workplace
- Tried four-day arbitration for claims brought by two employees against franchisee for national restaurant chain based on California Labor Code violations. Obtained defense verdict for one plaintiff, and limited recovery to under $1,000 for the other plaintiff. At the start of the case, the team successfully compelled arbitration and dismissed class action claims, substantially reducing the potential liability of the case. After completion of arbitration, won motion to dismiss remaining Private Attorney General Act representative claims, and then successfully moved to recover costs based on win.
- Successfully brought a motion to dismiss wage and hour class action at beginning of litigation for allegations that Los Angeles based restaurant chain did not provide pay checks within time limits set by Labor Code.
- Successfully resolved sexual harassment allegations prior to litigation for Los Angeles based company after conducting investigation and obtaining witness statements.
- Defeated motion for class certification for national manufacturing client involving allegations of missed meal and rest breaks, unpaid commissions, and off-the-clock work.
- Prepared defense for exempt misclassification case for trial for national solar and wind power supplier; obtained favorable settlement two days prior to trial after court issued favorable rulings on pre-trial motions.
Anthony routinely provides risk management advice to numerous clients on difficult terminations, investigations, or resolving threatened litigation.
Anthony is on the Boards for the California Restaurant Association, California Employer Advisor and California Employment Law Answers.
Anthony lives with his family in Los Angeles, and when not working with clients, he enjoys participating in triathlons, skiing the Sierras, surfing, coaching soccer, and flying as a private pilot.